I am thrilled to get to introduce this week’s episode. We interviewed my friend (and longtime teammate) Ali on LGBTQ inclusion in sport. We also got her perspective on some broader questions, like:
- What are some mistakes made by well-intentioned allies?
- Are there additional health and wellness challenges experienced by the LGBTQ community?
- Is it ever appropriate to ask someone what their sexuality is?
As always, you can listen to the episode through the player above or by subscribing to our iTunes channel.
Ali volunteered for PridehouseTO leading up to and during the Pan Am and Parapan Am Games in Toronto. Their mission included:
- Ensuring LGBTQ-inclusiveness during the Games
- Creating a safe space for ahtletes, coaches, delegations, and visitors
- Profiling LGBTQ athletes
- And raising awareness for homophobia, biphobia, and transphobia in sport
Additional resources mentioned in this episode:
Rainbow Health Ontario – Improves the health and well being of LGBTQ people in Ontario, and increases access to competent and LGBTQ friendly health care services across the province.
Sherbourne Health Centre – Health and counseling resources for LGBTQ-identified, homeless and underhoused, and new immigrants to Canada.
The 519 – Toronto-based LGBTQ resource for everything including services, space rental, and community leadership (and the home of PridehouseTO).