No dehydrator? No problem.
The other night, my friend Katie came over to help make pizza and treat my parents to a savory homemade dinner. Her cayenne pepper kale chips were the perfect side! Kale chips are very easy (and inexpensive) to make yourself.
Makes 4 sides
- 1 head of kale
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
2. Wash and de-stem your kale. Tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces (about 2 inches long). Finely mince your garlic or crush it using a garlic press.
3. In a large bowl, pour oil over the kale leaves. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste (a little bit goes a long way — a couple of shakes of each is fine). Add your crushed garlic. Combine well and massage oil and seasoning into kale leaves.
4. Line your chips evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 11-13 minutes or until crispy.
We transferred the chips to a new dish and let everyone grab handfuls to top off their plates.
For those of you not quite on the kale bandwagon yet, this recipe is sure to change your mind! Plus, kale is quite the superfood. Per calorie, it has more iron than beef and more calcium than milk. It’s also an anti-inflammatory and high in fiber.
How about it then? What’s your favourite way to enjoy kale?