Guinea Pigging Green is one of my favourite projects. I love experimenting with new things, and?Steph is one of those friends who is always encouraging new books, hobbies, and skills. Sometimes, we get lucky enough to record whole episodes on them!
Today’s episode is all about cultivating a growth mindset (the mindset that challenges you to get out there and learn things that you’re not good at yet). You can listen to the episode on iTunes or by using the player below.
According to psychologist Carol Dweck,?there are two main mindsets: growth and fixed. To paraphrase, a fixed mindset assumes that who we are (including our abilities) can’t be changed in a meaningful way, while a growth mindset sees failures as a starting point for new abilities. In other words, someone with a growth mindset sees something they’re bad at as something they can one day become good at.
Steph and I both believe that we should always be learning. And why shouldn’t we!
There’s no better time than right now?to find affordable online courses and skill-sharing. Some of them that we mentioned in today’s episode include:
- Skillshare, for courses on almost everything (Steph took a course on creative nonfiction).
- Udemy?and Alison, for even more online courses (Alison has a digital photography course we’re eyeing!).
- Brilliant Beautiful Blog, Steph’s guide to creating?and customizing your website.
- Blinkist, for reading book summaries on business, marketing, psychology, and more.
- Jess Lively, for setting values based intentions (her last course was in January, but you can check back for upcoming sessions)
- Duolingo?and Memrise, for learning languages
- Pieces Calligraphy, which I am currently using for?brush lettering?(I handlettered?our featured photo above!)
- The Where They From?choreography that Steph loves?(and the online class she’s taking to dance just like them!)
Other Links we mentioned:
- How I Became A Morning Person, Read More Books, And Learned A Language In A Year
- 365 Days of Drawing
- The Happiness of Pursuit: Finding the Quest That Will Bring Purpose to Your Life
What skills are you working on? What websites are you using to learn those skills? We cannot wait to hear from you.
PS. Does anyone have breakdancing classes they recommend? For real!
PPS. Also looking for Cantonese lessons.