I’m on a major brussel sprout bender right now. I’m obsessed with how they look (like crazy brains!), I dig the way they taste, and I love the way green veggies make me feel. This recipe is my vegan response to Steph’s Best Brussel Sprouts recipe that also looks absolutely smashing.
A note on my ingredient swaps: Steph likes to top her dish with a fried egg. The avocado in this recipe mimics that creaminess. I’ve also replaced the parmesan cheese she uses with nutritional yeast flakes. Nutritional yeast (or “nooch”) has a mild cheese-like or nutty flavour. It’s also protein-rich and is a vegan source of Vitamin B-12 (which helps in the production of red blood cells). I replace the butter with Earth Balance, a vegan substitute. Both nooch and Earth Balance can be found at most health stores or in the health section of many regular grocery stores.
- 3 cups brussel sprouts, chopped
- 1-2 tbsps Earth Balance (or another vegan butter)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 portobello mushroom, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 avocado
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp pine nuts (walnuts and pecans also work)
- chili flakes (optional)
- Pan-fry your chopped brussel sprouts in the Earth Balance until slightly browned.
- Add the garlic, onion, and portobello mushroom and continue to stir until the onions begin to turn clear.
- Sprinkle with nutritional yeast, pepper, chili flakes, and pine nuts and fry for another few minutes.
- Remove from stove, and top with sliced avocado and pepper.
Feel free to be liberal with the toppings! (This is what nutritional yeast looks like)
And that’s it! If you’re looking for an easy meal to incorporate more veggies into your diet, this is your guy. Enjoy!